- By 2040, nearly one in four people in Belgium will be over 65 years.
- Structural Heart Diseases are a major cause of functional decline in the elderly population and as such, Belgian policies must tackle SHDs as part of ageing strategies.
- Investments in health innovations for this population are an economic necessity for Belgium to adapt to the new demographic challenges.
- Investing in technologies that can keep seniors out of hospital and having an active engagement in society will help to solve this issue.
- Ehnheart.org. (2017). European Cardiovascular Disease Statistics 2017 edition. [online] Available at: http://www.ehnheart.org/images/CVD-statistics-report-August-2017.pdf [Accessed 2 Dec. 2019].
- Vandresse, M. (2017). Perspectives démographiques 2016-2060 Population et ménages. [online] Statbel.fgov.be. Available at: http://statbel.fgov.be/sites/default/files/files/documents/bevolking/5.8%20Bevolkingsvooruitzichten/bestanden/FOR_POP1660_11440_F%20print.pdf [Accessed 2 Dec. 2019].
- Ligue Cardiologique Belge. (2019). La ligue cardiologique belge - Ligue Cardiologique Belge. [online] Available at: https://liguecardioliga.be/ [Accessed 2 Dec. 2019].